I have 5 boys, that are at the ages of thinking love is yucky. So for Valentine’s this year, I decided to play upon the fact that they think this holiday full of love is yucky.
I decided to make my mom’s dirt cake recipe with red and white gummy worms. My 6-year-old actually thought it was dirt from the garden. (I couldn’t stop laughing.) He kept saying, I don’t want to eat dirt! It would taste yucky. Perfect! That is just what I was going for. A “yucky” dessert to celebrate this yucky love holiday.
There are probably a million recipes out there for dirt cake, but this is the one I grew up with. I love that it is so quick to throw together, and looks impressive with the contrast between the light smooth layers and the dark “dirt” texture layers.
- 1.5 lbs. Oreos (66 cookies)
- 6 T Butter
- 1 pkg. Cream Cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 C Powdered Sugar
- 4 C Milk
- 2 pkgs. French Vanilla Pudding
- 12 oz. Whipped Topping
- Crush cookies in blender (about 10 cookies at a time).
- Whip together butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl.
- Mix together milk and pudding in another bowl.
- Combine the two mixtures and then fold in the whipped topping.
- Layer the cookies and pudding, alternating into a large glass bowl or trifle dish.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving, with plastic wrap on top.